Posts Tagged ‘Ontario’

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau applauded the actions of 25 Liberal MPs from Toronto who signed a letter calling on all members of the provincial legislature to step up and defeat Premier Doug Ford’s laws slashing the scale of the town’s municipal council.

“Fairly frankly, it’s one thing that I count on of all our MPs, to be sturdy voices for his or her communities in Ottawa,” Trudeau advised reporters in Saskatchewan Thursday.

Trudeau stated earlier this week that whereas he’s “disenchanted” the Ford authorities determined to make use of the however clause to drive the laws by means of the provincial legislature, he won’t step into the controversy over the scale of Toronto metropolis council.

“We’re calling on all MPPs to defeat Ford’s laws, tabled yesterday at Queen’s Park, and the Invoice’s unprecedented use of the however clause in Ontario,” stated the letter, first obtained by the Toronto Star.

“Particularly, we imagine MPPs elected in Toronto have a duty to defend the town, its democratic establishments, and the rights of residents to a free and truthful municipal election. The individuals of Toronto deserve nothing much less.”

Ford introduced Monday that he would take the uncommon step of invoking Part 33 of the Canadian Constitution of Rights and Freedoms after an Ontario Superior Courtroom choose dominated that his provincial authorities’s laws to chop the variety of Toronto metropolis councillors was unconstitutional.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau feedback on Ontario’s use of the however clause whereas in Saskatchewan. zero:54

Part 33 — often called the however clause — permits premiers or prime ministers to override for a five-year interval rulings on laws that judges have decided would violate sections of the Constitution.

Pierre Trudeau opposed the clause, however reluctantly agreed to its inclusion with a purpose to get a deal on the Structure Act of 1982, which wrested management of Canada’s Structure from Britain.

Politically poisonous

Ontario has by no means used the clause earlier than. Political leaders typically have been reluctant to make use of the however clause, which is considered by many as politically poisonous.

“The proper response to a courtroom determination one disagrees with is to enchantment. Ford’s response is heavy-handed and disrespectful,” the MPs’ letter stated.

“As elected representatives of the Metropolis, we wish to guarantee the individuals of Toronto that we perceive and respect the important position that metropolis corridor and native democracy play in constructing the communities by which we dwell.”

The letter is signed by all 25 Liberal MPs from Toronto, together with a number of members of the federal cupboard, together with:

  • Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations Carolyn Bennett,
  • Minister of Border Safety and Organized Crime Discount Invoice Blair
  • Minister of Science and Sport Kirsty Duncan
  • Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Ahmed Hussen
  • Minister of Finance Invoice Morneau

Tesla Motors Canada is suing the Ontario authorities, alleging it has suffered “substantial hurt” and misplaced gross sales amid the cancellation of an electrical car rebate. 

In mid-July, Ontario Premier Doug Ford scrapped the province’s Electrical and Hydrogen Car Incentive Program (EHVIP), which was introduced in by the earlier Liberal authorities. This system supplied rebates of as much as $ 14,000 on qualifying automobiles, as long as they had been below $ 75,000. 

When it cancelled the EHVIP, the province promised to honour the motivation for individuals who have their car delivered, registered and plated if it was bought from a vendor earlier than Sept. 10. Nonetheless, the province stated the motivation would finish instantly for individuals who ordered their car instantly from the producer.

In its lawsuit, filed with the Ontario Superior Courtroom of Justice, Tesla Canada — which says it’s an Ontario-licensed vendor — says its clients not qualify for an incentive, not like these shopping for electrical automobiles from different firms.

Tesla Canada argues the federal government “intentionally and arbitrarily” excluded its clients, whereas offering no warning or the possibility to supply any enter.

“The Minister of Transportation’s choice all of a sudden left a whole lot of Tesla Canada’s Ontario clients within the unfair place of not being eligible for the rebate they’d anticipated to obtain after they ordered their automobiles,” the lawsuit states.

“Whereas purchasers of different manufacturers and from different sellers will nonetheless obtain the rebate in the course of the transition interval.”

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Transportation stated it’s conscious of the applying for judicial evaluation.

“As this matter is earlier than the courts, it might be inappropriate to remark,” stated Bob Nichols in an electronic mail to CBC Toronto.

Searching for pressing motion

The lawsuit claims on July 11 the unique language surrounding the transition plan included Tesla Canada.

Nonetheless, it claims the Ministry of Transportation later modified the wording to “expressly exclude Tesla Canada and its clients from the transition plan.”

These shopping for electrical automobiles from BMW, Audi, Fiat-Chrysler, Ford, Normal Motors, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan and Volkswagen are unaffected in the course of the transition interval, the lawsuit alleges.

Tesla Canada is asking for the lawsuit to be heard urgently.

It is unclear how a lot the corporate is searching for, however the lawsuit warns each day the transition plan continues with Tesla excluded, “the unquantifiable and irreparable hurt grows.”

Funded by cap-and-trade

CBC Toronto has spoken with a variety of Tesla clients who’ve missed out on the $ 14,000 rebate and paid for dwelling charging stations.

The EHVIP program was funded largely by the earnings from Ontario’s cap-and-trade program, which Ford’s authorities additionally deserted this summer season. This system set a value on carbon emissions for giant polluters.

Ford’s authorities has stated cancelling cap-and-trade will assist it obtain its purpose of bringing gasoline costs down by 10 cents a litre and slicing prices for Ontarians by $ 1.9 billion per 12 months.

The Ontario primary earnings pilot venture is coming to an finish, says Youngsters, Neighborhood and Social Providers Minister Lisa MacLeod.

MacLeod mentioned Tuesday that the venture was costly, and “clearly not the reply for Ontario households.”

She mentioned the ministry would have “extra particulars at a later date” about how the federal government would finish the venture.

Near four,000 folks had been enrolled within the primary earnings pilot program in Thunder Bay, Lindsay, Hamilton, Brantford and Brant County.

The pilot venture began in April 2017. It was initially set to final three years, and discover the effectiveness of offering a primary earnings to these residing on low incomes — whether or not they had been working or not.

Below the venture, a single particular person may have obtained as much as about $ 17,000 a yr, minus half of any earnings she or he earned. A pair may have obtained as much as $ 24,000 per yr. Individuals with disabilities may have obtained an extra $ 6,000.

Throughout the announcement, MacLeod was requested what information the province was citing when it mentioned this system wasn’t working. MacLeod did not provide any examples, and as a substitute simply mentioned it was “not sustainable.”

She mentioned her authorities will finish this system “ethically” for anybody who’s at the moment enrolled. She didn’t say how lengthy individuals may count on their funds to proceed.

Guelph MPP Mike Schreiner, who’s the Inexperienced Occasion chief, slammed the cuts in a press release.

“Ontario’s social help packages usually are not working,” he mentioned. “Essentially the most environment friendly and efficient method to scale back poverty and authorities paperwork is to experiment with new options such because the Primary Earnings Assure pilot program.”

Incapacity help to rise 1.5%

MacLeod additionally introduced Tuesday that the province’s PC authorities will enhance charges for folks on Ontario Works and the Ontario Incapacity Assist Program by 1.5 per cent — not the three per cent enhance that was promised within the earlier Liberal authorities’s newest price range.

“We have to do extra than simply assist folks stay mired in poverty,” MacLeod mentioned whereas making the announcement at Queen’s Park.

“We will hit the pause button on the earlier authorities’s patchwork system and change it with a system that helps stabilize folks in want and help them to succeed.”

MacLeod mentioned the province has set a 100-day deadline to develop and announce a “sustainable” social help program.