Posts Tagged ‘Ontario’

The Ontario primary earnings pilot venture is coming to an finish, says Youngsters, Neighborhood and Social Providers Minister Lisa MacLeod.

MacLeod mentioned Tuesday that the venture was costly, and “clearly not the reply for Ontario households.”

She mentioned the ministry would have “extra particulars at a later date” about how the federal government would finish the venture.

Near four,000 folks had been enrolled within the primary earnings pilot program in Thunder Bay, Lindsay, Hamilton, Brantford and Brant County.

The pilot venture began in April 2017. It was initially set to final three years, and discover the effectiveness of offering a primary earnings to these residing on low incomes — whether or not they had been working or not.

Below the venture, a single particular person may have obtained as much as about $ 17,000 a yr, minus half of any earnings she or he earned. A pair may have obtained as much as $ 24,000 per yr. Individuals with disabilities may have obtained an extra $ 6,000.

Throughout the announcement, MacLeod was requested what information the province was citing when it mentioned this system wasn’t working. MacLeod did not provide any examples, and as a substitute simply mentioned it was “not sustainable.”

She mentioned her authorities will finish this system “ethically” for anybody who’s at the moment enrolled. She didn’t say how lengthy individuals may count on their funds to proceed.

Guelph MPP Mike Schreiner, who’s the Inexperienced Occasion chief, slammed the cuts in a press release.

“Ontario’s social help packages usually are not working,” he mentioned. “Essentially the most environment friendly and efficient method to scale back poverty and authorities paperwork is to experiment with new options such because the Primary Earnings Assure pilot program.”

Incapacity help to rise 1.5%

MacLeod additionally introduced Tuesday that the province’s PC authorities will enhance charges for folks on Ontario Works and the Ontario Incapacity Assist Program by 1.5 per cent — not the three per cent enhance that was promised within the earlier Liberal authorities’s newest price range.

“We have to do extra than simply assist folks stay mired in poverty,” MacLeod mentioned whereas making the announcement at Queen’s Park.

“We will hit the pause button on the earlier authorities’s patchwork system and change it with a system that helps stabilize folks in want and help them to succeed.”

MacLeod mentioned the province has set a 100-day deadline to develop and announce a “sustainable” social help program.

There have been no new fires reported by the Ministry of Pure Sources and Forestry on Sunday, however crews proceed to battle 39 lively forest fires throughout northeastern Ontario.

Twelve of these fires are usually not but beneath management, together with Parry Sound 33, which has precipitated the evacuation of Key Harbour and Henvey Inlet First Nation.

Ontario’s forest fireplace data map confirmed Sunday morning the fireplace had grown to about eight,224 hectares in dimension.

In a launch, the ministry acknowledged that winds blowing from the southwest will hold crews busy alongside the portion closest to Freeway 69.

The ministry mentioned the fireplace was about seven kilometres from the freeway in a single day into Sunday.

“Precedence stays alongside the northeast facet of the fireplace with fingers extending in the direction of the CN rail line, as minimal motion occurred throughout the tracks. Minimal progress alongside the southwest portion of the fireplace occurred,” the MNRF mentioned.

“Hose lay and containment will resume alongside the northern portion as crews will look to safe that space. The southwest winds are anticipated to proceed tomorrow, probably bringing heavy smoke circumstances periodically into surrounding communities and alongside Freeway 69.”

Jim Rook, the municipality of Killarney’s emergency supervisor, says he’ll be visiting the ministry’s short-term firefighting headquarters in Britt on Monday. Evacuation orders for the Key and Pickerel river areas stay in place.

“It seems that MNRF has had a profitable day with suppression and continuous water bomber and helicopter assaults have made headway. On the southern facet [Key] space, crews are mopping up scorching spots,” acknowledged Rook.

“I feel issues are actually transferring in the best path. I need to admit although that Mom Nature has a manner of humbling us.”

Grundy Lake Provincial Park was evacuated over the weekend, with about 800 campers having to go away.

“We hope to reopen the park as quickly as it’s secure to take action,” Ontario Parks states on its web site. “We will likely be reassessing once more on July 30 if additional cancellations are required.”

Under is data on a number of the different fires within the northeast, together with the large one nonetheless ongoing in Woman Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park.

Woman Evelyn Fireplace Cluster

  • North Bay Fireplace zero72 stays at 27,579 hectares and is listed as not beneath management.
  • Somewhat little bit of smoke was noticed on the fireplace later within the afternoon and we anticipate that may improve over the following few days because the climate returns to seasonal values with temperatures reaching the mid to excessive 20s.
  • Twelve items of heavy gear are assigned to this hearth
  •  There are 11 helicopters assigned to this cluster.

River Valley Cluster

  • Crews made stable progress on all fires right now.
  • North Bay 62 was deemed beneath management this morning. 
  • On North Bay 42, crews labored on the north facet right now and made good progress. 
  • North Bay 025 can also be beneath management. 

Pembroke Fireplace Cluster

  • Good progress continues to be made on all fires on this cluster.
  • Pembroke 5 continues to exhibit minimal fireplace exercise. Since yesterday this hearth is being held at 37.5 hectares.
  • Pembroke 6 confirmed little or no progress right now. Crews are actually totally established on the south, west and east flanks of this hearth. Crews are nonetheless working to include the 697 hectare fireplace.
  • Being held at 72.5 hectares, crews on Pembroke 7 are working towards the centre of this hearth, increasing the management line.
  • With glorious progress being made in troublesome terrain, Algonquin Park 11 was upgraded to being held earlier right now. It is listed at 34.2 hectares

Patrick Brown, former chief of the Ontario PC social gathering, has registered as a candidate for mayor of Brampton, CBC Toronto has realized. 

Brown confirmed up at Brampton Metropolis Corridor on Friday — the final day of registration — to place his identify ahead. He will probably be working towards the incumbent mayor, Linda Jeffrey.

“I actually need to assist households, I need to proceed to contribute to public service,” Brown informed CBC Toronto’s Queen’s Park reporter Mike Crawley. 

“Regardless of all the pieces I have been via, I actually imagine that politics is a automobile to assist individuals and I believe there’s an actual alternative right here in Brampton.”

Brown cited escalating crime, “suffocating” gridlock and a scarcity of well-paying jobs as a number of the present challenges dealing with the town.

The shock transfer comes after Premier Doug Ford introduced plans Friday morning to “pause” the election of chairs in Peel, York, Niagara and Muskoka areas. Brown was beforehand working for the elected chair of Peel, and stated he was “stunned” to listen to of the premier’s plans.

“I believe it is unparalleled to bypass an election halfway via that election course of,” stated Brown.

“That hasn’t occurred in Canada.”

Political comeback

Regardless of the province’s choice, Brown stated, he feels he can nonetheless be helpful in Brampton, the “coronary heart of Peel area.”

The important thing planks of his marketing campaign will probably be financial growth, offering police with assets they should deal with crime, and advocating for extra funding for well being care, he stated.

The mayoral run continues Brown’s try at a political comeback after he was compelled to resign as PC social gathering chief in February and was kicked out of his caucus for allegations of sexual misconduct.

Brown sued CTV for $ eight million for defamation after the media firm printed a report detailing allegations by two girls relationship again to when Brown was a federal MP. CTV is standing by its reporting and the lawsuit